Friday, July 10, 2009

Good, Bad and the Ugly

I am a true believer in telling it like it is. I am not a sugar coater or spinner. Jason saying is, "it is what it is." This includes life hence the following story - not my finest moment in history but definitely memorable.
I am the camp director for our ward and during camp we visited a zip line. I have never done a zip line before and I was crazy enough to listen to one of our "experienced" girls and put the harness on backwards - for fun :) Instead of flying down the zip line sitting you go down in a superman position. I thought I could show off by doing arabesque. Of course I made the "experienced" girl go first and she does a hand stand off the plat form. I climbed up the platform and as I am standing there I begin to second guess my decision and am not sure how to exit the platform.


I am listening to those below and they are telling me to bend down. I am holding on to the rope behind me thinking I am in control but little do I know the gentleman helping is in full control of my departure. As I am asking for additional advise he lets go of the rope and I fall of the platform. As I am falling I yell, "ssshhhiiii......" - yes I swore in front of 50 young women and leaders at a young women's camp. What a great example I am.
As I recover and gain control down the zip line I realize that everyone up top is screaming and laughing at me. I am humiliated by the incident. But I did pull off the "Peter Pan". As I ran the cord back up to the beginning the priesthood leaders yelled, "don't worry you didn't finish the word." And the cheering and laughter got louder. I apologised to everyone in range and the leaders said it was the best time they have had all week.
This is a picture of Kim - the "experienced" girl I listened to. What was I thinking??? Of course as soon as the bishop came up to camp this story was the first to be told. My response was, "just trying to get fired." Bishop's response, "Its going to take more than that." The joke of camp was I had just read about the "Shiites" in the book of Mormon before riding the zip line.

No comments: