Monday, May 19, 2008

Help water in the basement???







Friday I was on my way to teach dance at the studio and my mom called my cell wondering why my basement had water in it. I thought she was kidding but she was serious. She went into the playroom and water was coming up through he toes. I immediately had her turn off the sprinkler water valve thinking it must be the sprinklers. I told her to just call a disaster company and she had already called dad to come and see where the water was coming from. Of course Jason was in Arizona for business and it was to late for me to find a substitute for dance. She reassured me she would take care of it and not to worry. Carter and her rushed to remove as many items as they could before they were ruined. As I was driving I remembered my brother-in-law worked for a disaster company and luckily he answered even though he was on vacation. He immediately sent a crew to my house and they pulled back the carpet, cut out the pad (that literally could be ringed out), pulled off the base boards, started up their fans and a de-humidifier. THANK YOU MIKE and Paul Davis Restoration & Remodeling!!! My mom called Jason to get our home owners insurance which of course freaked him out when he saw her number come up on his caller id. While I was teaching dance I had the thought that it was my water heater not the sprinklers and called my mom to tell her to shut it down. THANKS JANET and MERV (We have had 5 neighbors have problems in the last few months) My dad determined that it was the water heater that gave out and instead of going to the drain it headed directly into the playroom. Least to say we went without hot water for 48 hours (due to the weekend) and trying to get a tank-less water heater installed. By Saturday afternoon the dishes were running low and I couldn't take it anymore so I became a "pioneer" and boiled several pans of water to wash my dishes. It actually took about an hour but felt great to have them done. We finally gave up on the tank-less and went with two 50 gallons that were installed Sunday by our new neighbor (Josh-Emma's dad which happens to be a plumber). He asked if we minded him installing on a Sunday while we were at church and of course beggars cannot be choosy. We had to go most of the day without water while he installed, but don't worry we still showered for church. THANKS MACKAYs. I thought we were close to our neighbors but showering at their house brings it to a whole new level. What would we do without our neighbors and family???? They are so willing to help and take such good care of us. We are truly blessed!!!
Water is now up and running. We still have to determine if the carpet is salvageable - we think it is. We need to get new pad and base boards but the dry wall has water marks but seems to still be strong. Could have been a lot worse and THANKS to all who stepped in to help. We are very grateful!!! Take note of the beautiful picture of the NEW water heater - isn't it gorgeous!!

5 comments:

KIM D said...

i heard it was quite the indoor pool. good thing you've got connections!

Rommel and Christy said...

DANG!! That sucks...I hope everything turned out good.

Clarke and Kamie said...

oh boy. good times!!! what a mess.

Michelle said...

I'm sorry that the tankless didn't work! My parents love theirs. I'm just glad to see that it's resolved. I've thought about you all week but decided it would be better to quit calling. So awful. I'm so happy for you that it all worked out.

Mel said...

That sucks Jen! I'm sorry! Your beautiful new basement too! That sucks! Is it all put back together now? Text me or something so I know you're still alive!:) Tell the kids hi! Hope I get to see you when I come home! Love ya!